Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The View From Here: Father's Day with Cloud Visions

Happy Father's Day, one and all! Here is the wonderful art that my daughter created for me, as well as two other pieces she made recently:










In my opinion, this vase with flowers can rival Van Gogh's Sunflowers anyday:


Looks like she used wax or melted crayon on this one:


In case you haven’t figured it out, I have a thing for clouds and sunrises. Transient and elusive, formed and fleeting in seconds, clouds fascinate me as a metaphor for life itself. These photos in particular put me in mind of composer Philip Glass' Cloudscapes, or the opening chorus from Bach's Cantata 26, which likens the brevity of life to the fleeting clouds. These were taken just after a large thunderstorm had just passed through:









The rising sun always reminds me that no matter how dark life can get, a brighter day is coming: