Saturday, November 14, 2009

Swarm!

One day a few weeks ago when I came home from work I discovered we had been invaded by ladybugs and stinkbugs! Thank God it was more of the former than the latter, but for some reason they were all congregating around one window, and I had caulked up that window earlier this year so I don’t know how they were getting in! They were all over the curtains, flying around and bumping against the ceiling, and just crawling wherever their little legs would carry them. I had to vacuum them all up and take them (and the curtains) outside. It was interesting because a couple years ago it was the stinkbugs that had invaded this one window in my daughter’s room. They got all over her window, all over the curtains, flying around and bumping into things, and when they fly they sound like little airplanes so the noise was scary to my daughter. Ladybugs and stinkbugs start swarming in the fall every year, looking for a place to spend the winter. Here is a picture I took of a few of them huddling in a corner. Could they be conspiring against me? Hopelessly lost and awaiting their demise? Hibernating? You decide:

That was two weeks ago and believe it or not, 3 of them are still in that corner today as I write this! One thing I discovered a couple years ago about ladybugs is that they are like chameleons and try to match the color of whatever surface they are on. The curtains were tan, and the ladybugs had tan shells trying to match it. The floor was brown, and they were trying to match the color brown. I didn’t know they did that.

No comments: