Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Charlie Brown

My daughter and I just watched "A Charlie Brown Christmas" for the first time. She had been listening to the soundtrack for the last 2 months and really likes the Linus and Lucy song. I was curious to see how she would respond to seeing the film that went with the music she was already familiar with. She liked it, and danced when she saw the part with the other kids dancing, just like I used to do. But I did censor some of the show. I had forgotten how the kids called Charlie Brown names - blockhead, stupid, hopeless, etc; Lucy threatening to beat up Linus and trying to hit Snoopy, etc. I didn't want her picking up any words like that and calling anybody those names (she was already copying other things they were saying as she watched it), so I talked over those parts or redirected her attention. She can watch it again next year perhaps, but I will still be a little wary about that name-calling stuff. Am I the only parent censoring tv like that? Am I too sensitive? It's good that we watched it together first.

No comments: